Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yummy (and healthy) smoothies!

My kids have always enjoyed smoothies.  Most of the time it’s the only way I can get them their fruits.  But my sister gave me a fantastic tip to help them get their veggies too!  She adds spinach to her smoothies.  So here’s what I do….
I add a bunch of frozen fruit into my smoothie maker (blenders work well too).  If I am making a small batch, sometimes I do it in my Magic Bullet.
IMG_0521 IMG_0522 IMG_0523
Then I add a good handful or two of spinach.
IMG_0524 IMG_0525
I add in some yogurt and some juice or lemonade to help it blend more smoothly.IMG_0526 IMG_0527
And then I blend it up!  If you add enough berries it hides the green spinach really well.  Sometimes our smoothies are purple!
IMG_0528 IMG_0529
My kids all love them…and I do too!
 IMG_0532

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:25 PM

    We do the same thing, and it works wonders! But one extra tip is to throw the spinach in the freezer once it starts to wilt. That way I can buy the bulk bag of baby leaves to eat in salad, sandwiches, and smoothies, but can still use the frozen leaves in smoothies or casseroles before the next time I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete